Howdy hey folks. Awhile back Myself and a friend started on a new project, to create a heresy army each which we posted about. His was an Iron Warriors force (which he has been posting up some lovely pictures of) while I planned to do a Word Bearers army, as I loved the fluff behind them, thier rules were really cool and the models in the range are just stunning.
Having purchased the Betrayal at Calth box set and building and converting a load of the tac marines the project stalled. I basically had some serious reservations about the logistics involved in painting a whole new army. After some thought I decided I would pay a friend to paint for me when I had some spare cash. Roll forward a few months and the cash had not materialised, and my doubts and reservations increased so much that I canned the whole project. I had no motivation to paint another bunch of marines up in a different scheme, nor the money to pay for it to be done. I was loath to completely abandon the idea of a 30k force however as I do love the whole setting and story, and the idea of having narrative battles, space marine on space marine does excite me.
So what to do? The answer was right in front of me. Why not just expand my current Space Wolves army to include a HH detachment, mixing the 30k units into my existing army. The scheme I have was originally based on old HH artwork and the fluff surrounding the 13th company anyway, with a very dark and gritty scheme and a mix of chaos warrior weapons for a more aggressive flavour to the whole force, which would work well for both era's.
Now I had decided on this course I promptly whipped out the paint brush and set to work on my first ten man tactical squad.......What! Batch paint 10 marines NafNaf? Yep, couldnt believe it myself but I did, and do you know what? I really enjoyed it. They were (relatively) quick and easy to paint with very little fiddly bits that the current 40k GH models have on them, such as tokens, trim, beards and faces etc. These things are actually the thing that take alot of the time up, somdoing without them made the job pretty darn easy and I managed to finish them up in slightly more than a week of evening painting sessions. Dead pleased with the result too. They are a little plain, but I will be mixing them into my pre existing squads so there will be a nice mix of armour, bling and flesh to give some character to the squads, while hopefully also having a heresy vibe to them. Below are the pics of the finished squad, and then two of the mix of units. I think it works, and I hope you guys can see what I am going for.
It has been enjoyable to do, and I am looking forward to getting some more heresy units done to add.
The squad mix
As an aside I have a bit of a public service announcement too. I am moving house next weekend so there will be a lull in the posting schedule as all the horrible packing and moving takes place. My hobby desk is still relatively intact at the mo, and will be one of the last things to be packed up as I still want to do stuff in the few precious minutes of spare time I get in the evenings, but most of my models are now in cases, and things will slow down considerably as it all ramps up. The new house is pretty cool though, and means I do have a bit more hobby space again, which is a win :)
Ciao for now. NafNaf :)