Thursday 27 October 2016

Dreadtober Imperial Knight Complete

So, Dreadtober... I signed up thinking I had a Space Wolves dreadnought still to paint, turns out I didn't, and so I needed to sort out something else to paint for the challenge...


Luckily I still had the Renegade box set lying around so I thought, paint an Imperial Knight that should be fine. Lets just say that in October I spent two weekends at Warhammer World and a third weekend at a family get together, leaving me one weekend and any time I could grab during the week before work to get this built  and painted.



I built the main chassis and then magnetised the weapon mounts so I can add the other weapons when I get chance.  For some reason I decided to paint it red and black so went for House Raven in the end. I tweeted a couple of in progress shots as i didn't really get time to get a blog post together, one of the things I love about Twitter is it's nice and easy to update and engage on the go, and is definitely my platform of choice for sharing and engaging with the community.



I think it has turned out ok, my camera isn't great so it hasn't picked up the highlights very well, but overall i'm happy with how it turned out.  The basing is a combination of both my Space Wolves and Iron Warrior armies so I can ally it in to each of them and it will still look a coherent force.





Next year, i'm going to make sure I have more time for this so I can take the time to enjoy the challenge a bit more and be a bit more active in the whole community element of the event, especially seeing what a grand job Joe has done with the community.

Time to get back to working on my Iron Warriors, Dreadtober has been a good painting break and i'm looking forward to painting more of the legion, with my Iron Havocs up next.

Cheers,

Xach.

10 comments:

  1. A good looking model man. I find Dreadtober great for doing small updates on a single model as you go. Although this year I have quite a lot of friends join me on my blog so the updates are a little bit huge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a look, I wish I could have done more incremental updates, but with the little time i had it was a case of paint or blog, and i really wanted to get this finished in the allotted time. If nothing else lets just say i've learnt a lot about time management on this one...

      Delete
  2. Great job. Your freehand is amazing, nice and clean lines.

    You got this done in about 7 days with the free time you could manage? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a system where i get about 20 minutes before work everyday and then did the odd hour on a couple of evenings. But overall I find bigger models quicker and easier to paint. I'd probably say less than 7 days in total, especially given its mostly just 3 colours. After previously painting the Hawkshroud Knights i had developed a bit of a system when painting these which certainly helps!

      Delete
  3. Looks great fellow Dreadtober-er, I've finished my Contemptor too. Joe did a great job this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Siph, Ive got to say I really like calth dreadnought you completed, great paint job with lots of nice extra touches such as the heat staining and getting a dynamic pose out of that model is a challenge in itself.

      Delete
  4. So I'm a bit (ok hugely) jealous/impressed that you knocked that guy out in a single weekend! He looks fantastic and I like the stripes with the red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe, building the model and all the base coats I did in 20 minute slots before work. But all the finishing work, such as the layering, details, transfers and basing I did in a weekend. As I said to Thor in the comments above once I have a system i can paint thinks pretty quickly. But painting the first model to work out the system takes me forever!

      Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. Dreadtober has been great this year, really enjoyed seeing so many great models painted up.

      Delete
  5. Nice, clean lines, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, thanks for taking the time to stop by. I've got a couple of iron warriors projects on the go at the mo, but will be painting up the second knight from the renegade set in the next few weeks. Looking forward to getting him done.

      Delete