Evening all. It is a bit quiet here on the western front, and I have been flitting from project to project over the last 2 weeks, unable to settle down and commit to anything. I started my secons talos but lost motivation fairly rapidly (no reason why, just did not feel like painting anything).
Whilst flitting I did some thinking about the huge number of projects I have or am planning to do, and decided I needed to cull even further than I had originally planned. I had bought a Betrayal at Calth box set with the set intention of making a Word Bearers 30k force. I did loads of work converting and adding 3rd party bits to the marines, only to stall on painting, and have since left them languishing in a box on my shelf. I made the harsh decision to bin the project and purloin the miniatures for my Space Wolves. You will be pleased to know that I still plan to continue my foray into 30k, but it will be my wolves that follow me. The reason for this is I already have a substantial collection painted in a scheme that fits the 30k universe, and with a little tweaking and a few additions down the line I will have a fully multipurpose force (which also saves me ££ and time).
Once I had made this desicion I started to plan out what I wanted to do. One of my bits purchases were some Maxmini jump packs, and I also raided my bits box for any spares I might have. The plan was to convert my blood claws to also be used as assault marines in 30k (with a few future additions from the BAC box for some more heresy style marines). The increased flexibility of this unit is also appealing as I can now use them as either blood claws or skyclaws in 40k, or assault marines in 30k. Win win :)
The work itself was a bit of a pain as I had to carefully chop all the (substantially) glued back packs off my painted marines and then magnetise all the parts so they are all interchangeable. Pretty pleased with the results, and once painted it will all look good again :)
Whilst doing all the magnetising I also decided to upgrade my basing using tabletop adapters that I recently bought to update to 32mm bases for all my infantry. After seeing the HH marines and others on the tinterwebs mounted on the 32mm I realised that they look soo much better, creating more space for the marine to stand on and look much more epic :). The tabletop adapters are very good quality. They are plastic and much more superior to the mdf or resin ones also on the market. The 25mm base slots into a slanted recess within the adapter, creating an (almost) seamless fit, and you really can't tell the difference between proper 32mm bases and these, as they are the same height and slant as the proper GW ones when attached
I also decided to upgrade my basing scheme by adding some frozen tundra grass tufts. This adds a little more variety to the base I feel and also offsets the very dark colour scheme on the marines. The plan is to go slowly through the rest of my army, adapting and upgrading as I go. This will give the army a bit of a boost and it has also had the effect of increasing my enthusiasm for my wolves again, after the burnout (more of a rage quit really) I experienced nearly 6 months ago painting my stormwolf.
Hopefully my hobby mojo will settle down again soon and I can get cracking on some painting, but until that happens I will just continue to be a hobby butterfly :)
Ciao for now