Wednesday 22 June 2016

Dark Eldar Carnival Crewman #2

Well hello my lovely readers :). I have yet more hobby progress to share. At the beginning of the week I finished my second crew member for the carnival venom.

When I took the first lot of pictures I noticed a few flaws in my paint job, and spent a little more time rectifying the mistakes, and he is much improved in my eyes. Photographs can be overly harsh sometimes, making a mockery of subtle blending and showing something which looked fine to the eye slightly clunky in the pics. Unfortunately over the last year my eyesight has deteriorated slightly, and I now need to wear glasses to read, watch tv and paint little models. I have not recieved them yet so I am muddling through in the meantime. It has not had a massive detriment but I do notice the difference on details that I would not have missed before. I think most of the time I am being over critical of my painting (which is good in one way as I do strive to improve, but can also mean I never bloody finish anything sometimes) but mistakes have been creeping in slowly.

Anyhow enough of my woes ;) here is the gentleman in question. I went with a very bright core of orange for him, with the more muted, rich purple to tone it down and tie it in with the red armour. The blue hat I had not decided on till the very end, but I really like the richness of the colour amd it does complement the others nicely, as well as adding an interesting spot colour. I liked it so much I extended it to the gems at his waist, which also balances the model a little more, so the blue is not so top heavy. Anyway what do you all think of him? I hope he will not clash with the venom, but once he is varnished and mounted I will be able to tell. My gut tells me it will be fine, and it has not failed me yet, but you never know!

NafNaf

 

8 comments:

  1. He's a brilliant single example of your talent friend Nathaniel. If I could trade an eye for your skill I'd be tempted! Beautiful, I think the blue gen choice has paid dividends. I think the metals of the chain and such are wonderfully done, yet subtle in their overall muted tone. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob :)

      I am pleasd with the colour balance overall, and the gems do help to tie the model together, which I like. It is always a danger using so many colours that they may clash and look awful. Now he just has to work with the venom too :D

      Delete
  2. It's the details that really make these guys. Just a joy to check out! Def on my list of armies I gotta see in person some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It can be a challenge to not go and overload the mini sometimes, as I do love adding all the little freehand bits and patterns. I have in the past had to repaint entire sections of models as it was just too much and did not work. Luckily over time I have reigned it in a little and I let the colours do most of the work for me, with just a few selected bits here and there garnished. It would be great if we could meet and have a game one day for sure :)

      Delete
  3. That is truly a lovely looking model. Especially as you are waiting on your glasses. I did get jealous of reading about you all at the tournie and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome cheers Rory :)

      My eyes are not too bad, but depending on the light and tiredness it can be a challenge to see the really fine stuff now (getting old ;) ) but hopefully the glasses will help alot with that.

      Delete
  4. He's got a heart on his hat. He just wants somebody to love!

    Great job as always. Good color choices, nice shading and blending, just well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes he does. He just wants to take long walks in the park, hold hands and inflict unimaginable pain and torture on to replenish his soul :D

      Thanks very much, glad you like him. One more to go and I will be moving onto a bigger model, probably one of my talos, as I need them for our club tourney and fluffaggeddon in November.

      Delete