Yes thats right folks, after nearly 5 years mouldering in my garage I finally got the motivation to take them all out and finish painting and basing them all. I was inspired to do this by fellow author here on objective secured, Arcade81, and his plans to start running a narrative campaign, which we will be blogging about on here.
He was sprucing up his existing terrain and I decided it was high time I did the same to mine. I find that painted terain and armies really helps to bring out a narrative in games and makes experience the much more immersive. I have now completed over 80% of my terrain pile, and have made a good start on the other 20%. It helps when the weather outside is nice and I can sit out and enjoy the whole process (with a beer in hand of course ;) ).
My terrain consists of a cities of death ruins bundle, a crater set, an old crashes space ship from a previous GW starter set and a few other bits and bobs. The buildings were all airbrushed and then drybrused and weathered to make them look old, blownup and worn. I found some acrylic crackle paint online which I have used above the windows and blown up bits to try and simulate fire damage. This has worked ok but it has been a bit hit and miss in places. The final stage was to use some army painter quick shade varnishes and then matt spray, which works pretty well and creates wuite a nice weathering effect all by itself. On a few I cut up some craters and added them to the bases and I really like how this has came out. It adds a nice interest to the bases.
The craters were very simple. I just glued sand to the outer plastic rings and sprayed the whole thing black. They were then drybrushed grey and water effects were added to try and make them a little more interesting. This has worked ok but I had the bottle sitting in a drawer as long as the terrain so It had gone off and turned brown. I did not mind this so much as it makes it look like dirty water but the shrinkage has been massive. Hard to believe that each crater was filled till over half with the water effect.
Finally I worked on the crashed space ship. I picked this up a while ago on Ebay as I think it is a fantastic piece of terrain and it makes an nice focal point on the battlefield, to either create missions around or just to look cool. I did not spend alot of time painting the parts, just speckling and drybrushing rust onto it to make it look worn, but I am happy with it overall.
I am pleased I can now field a whole table full of painted terrain, and will certainly take some pics of my next game with it to show. Anyway look out soon on the blog for more info on our upcoming narrative campaign. I for one am looking forward to it and have started making a little custom terrain piece to use (if you follow me on Twitter you will have seen a few pics of my work in progress). Catch you all soon :)