Sunday 19 April 2015

Iron Priest Re-visit

After receiving some great feedback on my Iron priest paint job in my previous post I decided to re-visit it and make a few amendments based on the suggestions.

The overarching comments where that it was too grey and needed something to break up the surface colour. Joe suggested that black would help this, as it would break up the grey, without adding a strange colour (done this to the chest plate, back pack and knee pads). Also Nick suggested that I add black lines to the purity seals to make them more interesting, which I have done. They work really well although next time I will do them before the wash stage so they blend in a little more. Greg also gave me some feedback about the lack of colour on the model (as well as being too grey :) ). I did not make many changes on this as I could not see where I could add the colour retrospectively, but I tried to add a little more purple over the model so the staff is linked into the main model a bit more (a rectangle on the backpack, a spot on the chest and the gun hilt were all changed to purple) and will do so on the next one I paint. Hopefully these changes have helped the model a little more. Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

 

 

NafNaf out!

 

8 comments:

  1. I thought it looked great before, but with constructive criticism it's looking even better, love the little touches of black on the power pack, and the purple spot colour on the pack linking the shaft of the power axe. And now the sqiuggles on the purity seals! Lol. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siph :). The feedback was great, and I think the changes are really positive. It also gives me things to think about when I paint my next one (the second has already been painted now, so I will need to re-visit that one as well for a few changes)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Nick. I like the squiggles on the purity seals. They make it much more interesting so I think I will be doing this from now on.

      Delete
  3. Nice work NafNaf! The darkened chest plate really helps your excellent work on his face stand out more. Bringing the purple over was a nice touch as well, helps balance it out. looking forward to seeing his packmate as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Joe :). It was some great advice on the black, and I think it works very well

      Delete
  4. Wow! Model went from a solid B to an A here! Fantastic work nafnaf. Great use of the purple. A nice trick to use, is to look away from the model, then right back at the model again, and try to watch where your eye naturally goes. It usually follows the point of contrast first, going for things that pop out (like the purple) and travels between them. Using the purple you did helps to highlight the face, as you've made a little triangle with the face in the center.

    Great improvement and excellent use of feedback sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg :). The feedback you gave really helped to push this one up a level, and I will apply it to future models (although there are always ways to improve, so I will be grateful to receive input on my other models as I post em :) )

      Delete