Saturday 20 September 2014

Grey hunters pack painted

Hey folks. I plan to be attending blog wars this November and have a list in mind for what I am going to take. I needed some hunters that had bolt guns, due to the change in costing for the true grit loadout (all my hunters currently are armed with close combat weapons, darn you gw!) I built them from a combination of the tac and sw kits, with a few sternguard bolters thrown in for the cool factor :). I have another 5 being built and am 75% through painting a land speeder.
I had a minor setback with these guys. I used a windsor and newton Spray matt varnish on them but after two days they were still tacky. I have overpainted them with a matt varnish but never had this sort of thing happen before. Anyone else encountered this?
On the list is 5 drop pods to paint.........5! Not expecting to enjoy these. I plan to batch paint them all together and limit the pain......sheesh
Till then.
Nafnaf out!


7 comments:

  1. I am always terrified of varnish. It always does odd things to my models, and sometimes I worry it's going to ruin things. Sometimes I've just skipped doing it because of that. My friend todd has me trying "floor polish" next. Ha!

    Really like the muted tones you've done here. Fits really well with the bases and the scheme you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I have had some disasters varnishing before. I used to use the Gw purity seal but ruined quite a few models as it went all milky and I could not fix it (trued gloss over the top and it did not work). I now usually gloss varnish by hand with the vallejo stuff then use testors dullcoat to matt it down again, but I had run out and just tried what was to hand. Wont be doing thatl again :(

      Delete
  2. I agree with Greg, the muted tones work awesome with these guys. They look great.

    I use Krylon for a sealer, their matte sealer, and have never once had an issue with it. They offer two versions though, one is an art matte sealer and you don't want that one. The artist one will cause issues, I've tried it. Their normal matte sealer though has been flawless for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :) I used an art matt varnish so that could be the problem. I have not seen krylon here at all but I have ordered more testors dullcoat as I have not had a problem with it so far, even when the weather is poor.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, what's the painting scheme on these guys? I'm feeling pretty inspired to paint my blood claws with these colours. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      The base is boltgun metal (leadbelcher now?) washed with nuln oil and then two washes of agrax earthshade. The red is blood red with carribough crimson wash and the white is ceramic white with a thinned wash of nuln oil. The copper is a vallejo paint but is simply washed with nuln oil, no highlights. The brown I use calthan brown (old gw foundation paint, drybrushed up to bleach bone then washed with agrax :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the fast reply, I will try it out!

      Delete