Howdy gang! Thought I would do a quick post on what I am working on at the moment as my posts and updates over the last month or so have been pretty non existent.
Usual life stuff has kept me away and the Dreadtober priming disaster really demotivating me for a while. Another issue that has cropped up is the app I have used to blog with on my Ipad has now stopped working after the last IOS update, and the blogger site just does not function for tablets, which has prevented me from doing anything blog related for at least a week. Luckily I have now unearthed my laptop from a box still packed from the move, and can crack on with da blog and hobby goodness again.
My hobby desk is now moved and set up (for the second time. Endless re-arranging after a house move to make furniture fit) so I have filled it to the brim with plastic goodness again :)
First up is a pair of rhinos I bought an age ago from eBay. They were in a pretty bad state, with very thick paint and acres of glue applied, so they had a good soak in Dettol and have been languishing in a disassembled state for nearly a year in the garage. One of my hobby plans is to convert a dreadnought drop pod using the standard chassis and plenty of plasticard to extend the doors and base, and my mate agreed to swap a pod for a rhino he plans to convert. He wanted an assembled one and I did not think I would have time to get them done, so I gave him an assembled one, but then realised I was short two rhinos for my 30k game at the club Friday. Cue manic building phase all week to get them ready. I recently made a purchase from ML shields after Rob reviewed his stuff over on his blog, and part of my purchase was some laser cut rhino doors and extra armour. These have been added in various places and add a nice bulk to the chassis, as well as the designs looking cool. One of the rhinos front was very damaged so I whipped out my hobby saw, cut away the extra bits at the bottom of the front and slotted in the lazered armour panel. This looks nice and bulky but had the unfortunate effect of blocking the drivers windows. My solution is to a) have the driver poking out above to see where he is going and b) I chopped the ported from the window attachment sand added them to the sides. Looks ok I think, and makes it more believable than having no windows at all anyways. These bring my total up to four now, and I can't really see myself needing any more than that, even for 30k.
Next up on the block is my assault squad conversion for 30k. Using a mix of MKIV and MKV armour for the torsos on this squad, with the legs either coming from my bits box (which have had the knee pads redone to make them more 30kish looking, some hacked and squared off, and the others reduced in size and pointed) or the legs I ordered from anvil industries, which have a very MKIII feel to them. The mix should look fine though, and I am not that much (read not at all) of a purist that I need to keep to exact looks or historical accuracy. Still a fair bit to go on these, such as magnetising the backs and jumps packs and adding a few trinkets and wolf bits for character (can't resist a bit of bling ;) )
Following the 30k theme I decided to rip apart my long fangs, removing the heads on 3 to replace with MKIV helms as I wanted them to look at least a bit 30k in style ad wasn't over keen on the bare heads anyway. I also want to use the Betrayal at Calth missile launchers for them so I removed their DIY ones I had created years ago from hunter killer missiles, with a plan to replace them all when I have got the 30k ones glued
Lastly I decided to upgrade my Wolf Scouts to be used as Recon marines in 3ok, so I used the base toppers to extend the bases to 32mm. They will have the scout armour to be in keeping with the models but otherwise work very well (also added a standard bearer that |I had forgotten in my mass base upgrade a few months ago)
I have another couple of projects that I will keep back for a later post. There is still a little work to do on the one, and the other is still in pure idea form, although purchases have been made and I am waiting for parcels to arrive so I can start planning and creating. I am very excited to start and it is going to be a great project. Will give you a little hint. It is a terrain project and involves lots of doors. Gonna be a rather large project that will involve lots of kits and scratch building. Again I have another post in the planning phase that I will post up soon explaining all :)
As You can see I have a lot on the go or planned, but nothing concrete or finished to really show yet. Hobby is Hobby after all though, and I am really enjoying sitting at my desk scraping, chopping and converting to my little hearts content :)