Monday 27 April 2015

Space wolf Drop Pods Painted (finally)

Yes it is true, I have finally managed to paint two drop pods at the same time without tearing my eyes out or shoving the blasted things in the skip.
The trick was to leave them at the side of my desk as I was painting other stuff, and just paint a little bit every day. A door here and a panel there and soon enough they were done (I say soon enough, but it actually took two months all in). Unfortunately I have two more to do but these are not needed for blog wars, so can wait for another time when I am feeling brave enough to have a crack at them.
As usual I started with a black wash over the chassis, followed by three heavy brown ones for the worn and weathered look (Infantry only have two brown washes but these need more as there is a much larger surface area. I really quite like the splotchy and drizzled effect that the wash makes on these. Makes them look quite oily and grimy. The rest was blocking in the colours on the doors and adding weathering to blend it all together. For a model I have hated to paint the end result is not too bad. I should have done a much better job but I could not summon up the courage or motivation to do so.
Only 6 more thunderwolves left to paint (ooh er) and my blog wars list will be complete (finally :) )
Till next time
NafNaf out! :)

13 comments:

  1. Keep on it mate, the pods look awesome! Can't wait to see it in the flesh so to speak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was quick :D. Cheers dude. Looking forward to fielding them. I have taken a break from 40k gaming for a little while until my equlibirium is restored, so blog wars will be my re-entry into the joys of 40k gaming again (although knowing my luck I will get completely crushed every game by some douche with a sickenly awful Eldar army full of D and 50 million jetbikes with scatter lasers, and end up going home bitter and in floods of tears :D )

      I hope we can get to play each other. That would be very cool

      Edit: bugger deleted my original comment below trying to edit my awful spelling :D

      Delete
    2. Must admit I am considering swapping out some stuff for a court of medusae to address the jetbike issue, no armour no cover = win for the true kin!

      Delete
    3. That could work nicely. With an archon or haemy for webway portal shenanigans? What will you swap it out instead of?

      Delete
  2. Awesome progress Nafnaf! You are starting to approach Mordain levels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I dont think I will ever be able to paint as many mini's as Mordian does, he is a machine!

      My partner is pregnant with our first child at the mo so is going to sleep at 7 every evening. I spend the rest of the evening at my desk hobbying which is why my work rate has ramped up so much recently, but I can guarantee that when the baby is born it will slow down dramatically for a little while :D

      Delete
    2. Not true. Welcome to parenthood. Our motto is: sleep is for the weak. It's a shitty motto but I'm to tired to do anything about it. Get yourself a hot sling and you can paint while the little one sleeps. Baby foreheads make great wet palettes :P

      Delete
    3. Hahaha wet palette! Lol :D. I am planning to get a cot by my desk and have it next to ,e while I work. Baby happy, man happy = life is good

      Delete
    4. it's true, my son is now 18 months and I am just recently been able to get back in. But congrats though!

      Delete
    5. Thanks Joe. It is scary and exciting all at the same time :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice drop pods! Having done two myself, with the third sitting in the closet for years, I feel you. I can just picture the pods crashing down and all those angry wolves thundering out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :) yes I like the aggressive nature of drop pods as it fits the wolves play style well I think. The other two pods will probably end up with the same fate as yours :D

      Delete